Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Activation Report: W7O/CN-074 - Round Butte, OR | January 2023

W7MTB on Round Butte


This SOTA summit is a paved drive up. Access is quite easy from Madras, to the East or Culver to the South. 

Madras to Round Butte

Hwy 97/Culver Junction to Round Butte

There is a large open area on the top of the butte to setup your gear. On the Saturday that I was there, I saw one pedestrian and one other car in the 3 hours I was there. There are some small juniper trees but I'd suggest bringing a mast of some kind. 

Working 17m CW from Round Butte

I worked several S2S on 2M with ops up on Frog Lake Buttes [W7O/CN-024], 4620 [ W7O/CN-090] 4925 [W7O/CN-086] then switched over to HF and worked scored another S2S from W6/SC-365 on CW. This was the first time I had deployed my newly build K6ARK End fed random wire tuned with the EmTech ZM-2

This would be an excellent introduction summit for new operators. I presents no physical challenge other than sitting in the cold and wind, but it has beautiful views and feels remote enough to be relaxing.

Resources: 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Activation Report: W7O/CE-213 - Awbrey Butte,OR | February 2023

Awbrey Butte Summit Green: AX, Magenta: Trail, Blue: Fence line After a little encouragement from Tim, N7KOM, I decide to try Awbrey Butte, ...